Friday, September 13, 2013

Easy Chicken Pot Pie





Wow, thank goodness it's Friday!  I don't know about you, but I'm tired!  It has been a really long day and an even longer week.  I'm tired and I don't want to cook.

Unfortunately, at least in my life, these days happen all too often.  This is why i have a few fast and easy stand-by dinners that only take a couple minutes to throw together.

Today, I was doing a Food Demo at the Utah State Fair.  I decided to make a fast and easy pot pie.  I have learned that no matter how well I plan, these little demos always go wrong.  I forgot the corn starch, my bowl was too small, and the oven didn't work.  I planned on a twenty minute demo and I kept checking the oven (at home it takes 10 minutes or so to bake) and it just wasn't done.  I finally turned it on to broil for 10 or 15 minutes, and it still was barely cooked!

But I enjoyed talking with people about the things that I've learned and the things that they want to see gluten free.  I promised to post the recipe here on the blog, so here it is:

Fast and easy chicken pot pie:
1 small bag frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots and beans)
1/2 bag simply potatoes cubes with onions

1/2 to 1 cup cooked diced chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon Better Than Bullion
1 Tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
6 Chynna's Kitchen Gluten Free Biscuits
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400
Spray 9x9 pan with cooking spray.
Remove biscuits from freezer and allow to thaw while you prepare the filling.
Combine first 6 ingredient in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium high heat until simmering.  Stir and cook 4 minutes.  Add corn starch and water mix.  Stir in salt an pepper to taste.  Pour into prepared pan.  Cut 2 of the biscuits in half and arrange them all on top of the filling.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.  Remove from oven and serve hot.

PS.  To those of you at the demo, I found the corn starch! It was on the floor boards of my car, it must have fallen out of the bag.  I knew I had grabbed it, I'm so relieved that I'm not going crazy after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment