Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Gluten Free Banana Muffins

Growing up, our Christmas tradition was to get up incredibly early, open our presents as quickly as we could and spend the rest of the day playing with our toys and eating junk food.  Needless to say, by the end of the day I didn't feel so hot.  It's amazing what one night of no sleep followed by a day of junk food can do to how you feel.  When my oldest was born, I decided to start a new tradition. We started having breakfast before we opened presents.  And, miracle of miracles, I felt good all day long!
We traditionally have a big breakfast, pancakes or waffles, eggs, sausages, fruit and Orange Julius. It takes me about half an hour to cook, and then we eat before we open presents.  And amazingly enough, my kids actually sleep on Christmas Eve.  This morning, I woke up at about 7 am to the sounds of my teenager trying to wake up my youngest son so they could get me up and get to their presents.
Unfortunately, last night while cooking our Christmas Eve dinner, I slipped on a damp spot and hurt my knee, so I'm on crutches for Christmas.  Standing for 30 minutes while I made pancakes was definitely out!  So I decided to try something different this year.  While sitting and having a helper bring me stuff I mixed up a batch of very easy muffins and baked them last night so that this morning my teenager could make up the eggs and we could still have a nice Christmas breakfast.

Easy muffins:
2-3 very ripe bananas
3 T sugar
Beat together bananas and sugar until just lumpy
Beat in 2 eggs
add 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup baking mix. 
Beat until well combined, you will still have some small banana lumps.
You may need to add up to 1/2 cup more milk to reach desired consistency.  It should be thick enough to stay in a soft mound when dropped.
spoon into muffin cups and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

This took me about 5 minutes to mix up, and they were the best gluten free muffins I have had.  They rose well and did not fall and had a great texture.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete